Saturday, August 2, 2014

If Today Was Your Last Day

Since my last post, classes have concluded and so has the International Summer University Program.  On Thursday, my summer courses ended when I took my four-hour Introduction to Marketing final, which was a pretty decent exam.  As with Fundamentals of Finance, I am not expecting flying colors or anything, surely not a Danish 12.0, but I am pretty certain that I passed at least.  Undoubtedly, I tried my best!  Having 100% of final grades based on one final examination is definitely different than what I'm used to, so we'll see how well I adjusted when scores are released!

The building where exams took place...

...was located across the street from the beach at Amager Strand!

Celebrating the end of exams, I bought my first romkugle at a bakery on my way back to the metro.  This Danish dessert is comparable to a cake pop, in my opinion, but arguably even better tasting, and in this case, coated in coconut! 

After lunch in my dorm, it was time to pull my suitcase back out.  Remember that time my suitcase was expedited from Amsterdam..?  It seems like so long ago that I was waiting at baggage claim, but at the same time, it feels like just yesterday.  We'll see if my suitcase takes any other adventures without me on the way home!

I also took the time to complete course evaluation forms.  (They were online surveys, not Scantrons like at Central, which was great!)  Only as a study abroad student do you rate the English skills of your peers, your professors, and yourself!

At night, after a great dinner with two of my kitchen mates, I walked around the city with Elyse.  Although the parking lot and graffiti wall I pass on the way to the metro might not be the prettiest scenery, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I liked the way the sunset hit the water!

The Happy Wall in downtown Copenhagen

The symbolic anchor at Nyhavn had NO ONE sitting around or on it.  The best part of taking a relaxing walk around the city on Thursday night was seeing the sites sans tourists.

Nyhavn

Amalienborg

The Opera House

The Little Mermaid at night!  I was 1 of roughly 5 people at the statue; during the daylight, that's unheard of!

Characteristically, I had a waffle cone: this time at Vaffelbageren, a popular ice cream parlor at Nyhavn.  If it makes it any better, I get new flavors each place I go, so I sampled Daim, Florentiner, and a multi-color fruity kind (I don't remember the Danish name exactly).

Yesterday was the last official day of my study abroad program.  After sleeping in a bit, I met Elyse to see the Changing of the Guard at Amalienborg Palace.  The process ended up being much longer than expected, lasting from noon to about 1 pm, but it was something I had wanted to see.  Afterwards, I made grilled cheese with some pasta for lunch in my kitchen.  (After all this time, I finally feel comfortable cooking in my section's kitchen!)  From there, it was time to work on packing, clean, and relax a bit.  The night ended with a fancy dinner on Nyhavn with Lauren and Elyse, walking around downtown, and participating in the final Social Package event: the goodbye party.  Though I didn't end up taking pictures with everyone as I had originally hoped or even saying goodbyes, seeing these now-familiar faces one last time was what mattered.  Heading home at the end of the night, the fact that this would be the last time I went to Tietgenkollegiet really hit me.  It's just about the end of my time here.

Amalienborg Palace

Waiting for the Changing of the Guard to start, right before a guard came over and warned us in Danish to get off the sidewalk.



My NyhavnC chicken burger and apple juice (cheaper than water!)

Dinner with a view


Every time I see Nyhavn, I take pictures, but the view just doesn't get old.




Now, I'm sitting in my dorm room, blogging in Tietgen for the last time.  My room has been cleaned, and I'm almost ready to go.  By noon, I will no longer be a resident here at Tietgenkollegiet.

One by one, all of the wonderful people I've met over these past few weeks have been heading to the airport and flying out: some jetting off to other travel adventures but most returning home.  My departure doesn't happen until tomorrow, though: giving me one last day in Copenhagen before going back to the US.

With the bulk of my belongings I'm trying to cram in my baggage, let's hope for smooth travels to tonight's hotel...

After that, my last full day in Copenhagen will be spent soaking up the city, taking tourist pictures, eating traditional food, biking, and checking out a local festival happening this weekend.  Here's to having a great day in this beautiful city.