Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Back When The King Was Cool

On Sunday, June 22, two events were planned for us members of the ISUP Social Package: a sightseeing trip and a canal tour.
First, I'll elaborate a bit more about this deal, since it'll be mentioned quite a bit.  Earlier this month, all of us international students had the opportunity to book three parts of the International Summer University Program social program: the Social Package, tour of Denmark, and Berlin trip.  Doing as I like to do, which is take advantage of as many opportunities as possible, I registered for all three.  The Social Package consists of multiple events throughout the six weeks we are here (about 1-3 per week), and the others are weekend adventures that I'm really excited about.
Anyway, on Sunday afternoon I got to be part of a tourist group around Copenhagen.  A decently-sized group of us (30-40 or so students) led by 3 Danish student volunteers walked all throughout the city, able to see numerous historic landmarks.  Unfortunately, off-and-on there was a cold rain, and I didn't get a chance to take very many pictures.  Nonetheless, it was a great experience, and I'm in a few nice group shots.

First picture of my sightseeing group, posed in front of the Royal Theatre.
(I'm wearing the green tank and navy cardigan with my coral purse.)

"Mount the anchor!"

At one point in front of Amalienborg, where Danish royalty live, we all posed for a posed "royal" picture.  At first, I didn't think I'd even be in the photo, and then, I was a guard--yes, they have guards in the tall, poofy hats here!--until it was decided that we needed a wife to the crown prince (a fellow American, I believe from Philly).  Though I wasn't "madly in love" as I was supposed to be, I do get to say I was princess for a moment. ;)

Amalienborg

Royalty for a hot second.  I'm the crown prince's wife, hugging him while waving to the people.


 The best part of our tour, however, was undoubtedly our tour guide.  He is a student from Copenhagen actually in one of my classes, and the fact that he isn't a professional made the trip all the more entertaining.  While taking us around the sites, he gave us intense historical background about where we were at, such as: "Back when the king was cool... if he wanted a garden, they built a garden!" and "If you go to this art museum, only go on Wednesday night when it's free because I'm sick of my taxes paying towards this!"

Said museum with art that I will have to go see (of course) on a Wednesday.

Oh, and another good one... "This is where they store the soldiers!" (Not house, not accommodate.. store.)


Sightseeing turned out to be pretty enjoyable, despite the rain, and I got to talk with a few new people.  Plus, we saw the famous "colored houses" for the first time, which is part of a district I have already returned to and will go back to many times I'm certain.  It's gorgeous.  Although I didn't take any shots of the canal tour I went on, since I was seated in the middle of a large, covered ferry, the ride was relaxing, and it's one more thing to add to the list of experiences I have had in Denmark.

I will get my picture taken here eventually.  Beautiful Nyhavn in Copenhagen.