Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Gonna Make This Place My Home

Here in Copenhagen, student living situations are a bit different than back in the United States.  At Central, as with many American universities, there are several dorms on campus for Chippewas to live in.  In Denmark, though, the schools do not own housing; in my impression, anyway, they are not too associated with student residences.  Thus, planning to study at the Copenhagen Business School, I had multiple housing options.  The CBS has rooms reserved for us summer students at several student residences.  As I announced in my first blog, my choice was Tietgenkollegiet.
Arriving here on the very first day, even the Danish student volunteer who took us from the airport to our new home commented that we made a nice selection, and I absolutely agree.  We all walked from room to room checking out everyone's new accommodations, and there's no going wrong with a room here at Tietgenkollegiet.  (The embarrassing part of this is that I couldn't get my door to open or close and therefore looked dumb in front of all the new people I just met and the cute guy showing us around.  Thanks to help from an exchange student friend down the hall, though, I realized the trick to turning the key--pulling the door handle hard towards me--so now I have mastered it, thankfully!)
Today, I finally finished unpacking my things (there's SO MUCH storage space that one is practically obligated to) and took some pictures, so check out my new room!

Walk on in my new room!

..and the view heading out (looking towards the courtyard below)

Coats and dresses in the closet by my door

All of my belongings unpacked and organized in a closet by my bed.  There's so much room for activities and storage!

Beautiful day today in Copenhagen.  One of my favorite parts of my room undoubtedly is this huge window: opening completely, spanning that entire wall, and letting in the fresh air and sunlight.


I pinned my summer calendar that I made to my board and everything.


Yesterday, I was thrilled to see that my name was on the door; I am so excited to feel official.



Each room has an en-suite bathroom (even with heated floors!)--certainly a happy surprise--and we share kitchens between about 12 people.

Having a bathroom to myself is nice.  Having it look like this is even nicer!



I happen to be the exchange student in Kitchen 18.1.  I haven't met all of my neighbors yet, but those I have talked to are very kind.  The Danish people in general are reserved, which makes integrating into a dorm comprised of almost all Danish students a bit difficult.  By the end of these next few weeks, though, I hope to have interacted more with everyone here.
Tietgenkollegiet is shaped like a circle with a courtyard in the middle, and all of us residents have key cards to tap for access everywhere.  Because of the stunning architecture that drew me to this building in the first place, tourists come here just to take pictures.  (Partially why I have yet to take a picture of the full exterior, but I definitely will.)  Of course, there's plenty of nice or cool things I could say about my residence, but I'll sum it up with this thought: I have never and will never live in a dorm as great as Tietgenkollegiet.