Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hallo, Deutschland!

This weekend by far was a whirlwind--not unlike my time studying abroad in general--but I have few regrets.  Though my time in Germany was short, I am happy to say I've traveled to another country: one I have imagined visiting for quite some time now.

On Friday, July 18 at 6:30 am, our group met at CBS to depart on our trip to Berlin.  This meant first taking the metro to Frederiksberg then walking the rest of the way to Dalgas Have, so I had to leave Tietgenkollegiet fairly early.  Waking up by 4:15/4:30 in the morning worried me, but thankfully, I didn't oversleep.  Plus, once we boarded the bus, I was lucky enough to get a seat to myself, which was great for stretching my legs, storing my belongings, and sleeping some more.

Gotta love bus rides!

To cross from Denmark to Germany, our group took a ferry across the sea.  Of course, traveling is always an adventure, so our planned ferry did not work out.  Thanks to some miscommunication, another bus already had our spot, so we drove another hour or so to get on another ferry.  This shortened the boat ride to only about 45 minutes compared to 2 hours.

When I woke up and looked out the window, pigs were right in front of me.  Opening my eyes to a triple-decker bus of pigs was so strange, but hey- it's not so surprising knowing that Denmark is a HUGE pork-producer.

Saying goodbye to Denmark from the deck of the ferry (approximately 10:45 am).

Germany, another supporter of green energy.  It's great seeing all of these windmills in Europe!

Our first stop in Germany was actually a rest stop, thanks to Danish laws for bus drivers.  They can only drive so long, and breaks are needed sometimes.  However, the next stop we made was to the East Side Gallery.

Study abroad has taken me from the Great Wall to the Berlin Wall.

One of my favorite pictures from my summer, undoubtedly.  The Berlin Wall.  Berlin, Germany.  July 18, 2014.

We arrived in Germany a bit later than scheduled, so our time at the East Side Gallery was limited to 15 minutes.  However, I enjoyed checking out some of the Berlin Wall.  This part resonated with me a bit: the fact that I was in Berlin in 2014 as well as the remark reminding viewers to enjoy life.

Bright, colorful teddy bear statue near the East Side Gallery!

After checking out a bit of the Berlin Wall, we went to our hotel to check in.  Our time was limited, so all I could do was change into a skirt and try to freshen up for dinner.  Roughly half an hour later, we took the bus to our restaurant that evening, Löwenbräu.  There, I enjoyed dining out for the night with some friends.

As part of our trip price, we received our choice of dinner with soup, a drink, and dessert.

The options we had for our meal included pork schnitzel, chicken, and vegetarian German noodles.  Hoping to eat as the Germans do, I ordered the schnitzel (which came with fries and cucumber salad).  I absolutely did not regret my order, as my meal as a whole was very delicious.

Walking back to our hotel from dinner, we saw several monuments lit up at night.  Very pretty.


Across the canal from where we were walking home, a rather large crowd was gathered.  It turns out that a movie about Germany's history was being projected on the side of a building.  Naturally, we sat down and watched for a few minutes, catching the very end of the film!

Even closer to our hotel, we noticed people hanging out down by the water for the night.

City skylights from my window in Berlin--night one.