Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Making the Grade

By now, some of you following my blog have might have noticed one topic I have not really mentioned since arriving in Copenhagen: school.  Yes, I am enjoying myself over here in Denmark, but that doesn't mean no work is involved, either.  These last few days and next few days, especially, have been and will be a bit stressful when reflecting on coursework.

In Denmark, classes are structured somewhat different in the United States.  Though I attend lectures and class as normal, the grading policy is much different.  Here, we have only 3 assessments per class: a preliminary assignment, a mid-term assignment, and a final exam.  Unlike previous classes I have taken, with attendance, participation, homework, quizzes, tests, projects, and so on, the courses I am enrolled in through the Copenhagen Business School are graded solely based on final exams.  Preliminary assignments are not given any value or weight, though they are still "due" and marked.  Mid-term assignments do not contribute to final scores, either, but instead are mandatory "pass/fail hurdles" to complete in order to sit for the final exam.

To me, this new system is slightly worrisome, since my grades will count towards my GPA at Central.  Whereas some of my classmates only have to get the minimum scores to pass, I must aim for the highest grades I can get in order to maintain a decent grade-point.  At the moment, I am not certain what this means, exactly.  The Danish grading scale is different than the American one I am used to, ranging from 12 to -3; I'm not sure if I can receive, say, a 4 out of 12 to still transfer acceptable scores to CMU.

Despite my nerves for exams, my classes are going alright so far.  It is only the second week, and I am done with both preliminary assignments.  For Introduction to Marketing, this was an online quiz.  After looking over notes and the book ahead of time, I scored 16/20.  Without using resources on the actual assessment, I am content with that 80%.  For Fundamentals of Finance, our prelim was to conduct a ratio analysis in partners.  I worked with a friend to analyze Google, and we submitted our assessment before yesterday's 8:55 a.m. class.

My marketing mid-term is a case study in groups, writing approximately 2000-2500 words addressing how to promote and price Eco-Shacks in New Zealand.  My group's paper is about done and ready to submit today for the first time.  Should we not pass on this try, we will be able to revise and resubmit.

Tomorrow, I plan on completing my finance mid-term: a 50-question multiple choice test.  The assessment is online, and our professor told us we could use notes and even other people as resources, so I am not overly worried about obtaining the 70% I need to sit for the final.  Should I get too many incorrect, though, there will be one alternate assignment to complete, but hopefully, I won't need to take that.

Classes in general are fairly interesting, and I have friends to sit by in both subjects.  One of my professors is Australian, and the other is American.  Both are nice and knowledgeable individuals.  By the end of the month, I know I'll leave Denmark knowing more about marketing and finance.

First day of school!