Thursday, July 17, 2014

Just Another Day in Denmark

Only four weeks ago, I was en route to Europe: sitting on an Air France aircraft anticipating the summer ahead of me.  Now, the time until I fly back home seems to be approaching all the more rapidly.

Even still, it's a bit of a challenge to describe the "typical day" in Copenhagen, because every day has its own adventures.

Admittedly, some days are more exciting than others.  I have had a cold for about a week now, so between losing my voice, staying awake at night coughing, and generally not feeling the greatest, my life in Copenhagen recently hasn't been as fun as it could have been.  Sunday, for instance, I stayed in Tietgen all day--glasses, yoga shorts, Alternative Breaks t-shirt, and all--and only left my room when I went to the kitchen.  Thankfully, though, this cold seems to be getting better; days spent lounging around aren't much for story-telling.

...I prove my point. Peace, love, AB from Tietgenkollegiet 153.  No, I don't go out in public looking like this.

Anyway, my schedule here in Copenhagen primarily revolves around my classes.  On Mondays and Wednesdays, I have marketing from 2:25-5.  Usually, I sleep in these mornings, wake up, have breakfast in my kitchen, and take my time getting ready before leaving Tietgen at 1:50.  Reversely, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, my finance class runs from 8:55-11:30.  These past few days, I have been getting a lot of rest, so I haven't had time for much more than toast or a banana for breakfast on-the-go before finance.  Usually, though, I wake up with enough time to get dressed up and eat some cornflakes in my kitchen before leaving for the metro.

The stop nearest Tietgen, Islands Brygge, is about a five minute walk away from my dorm.  There, I board the metro headed toward Vanlose and wait before getting off at Frederiksberg five stops later, where the Solbjerg Plads CBS campus is only a few meters' distance away.

Of course, when arriving to CBS, I go to class in the appropriate lecture hall and find a seat near some friends.  The next 2.5 hours are spent taking notes, working through problems or case studies, and trying to soak up the information in the slides presented to me.  Half way through each class, we are given a break.  Today, my break was slightly monumental, as I went upstairs to the canteen/convenience store/cafeteria and bought a pastry.  Though I've had cake, scones, and kanelsnegle (cinnamon rolls) in Denmark, I hadn't actually had a real Danish until today.  I grabbed a 10 DKK pastry captioned "Danish with cream" in English and headed back to class.  This was a very good decision.

My first Danish pastry in Denmark! Divine.
After finance, I get lunch with some of my peers at CBS (at the same place where I bought a pastry).  Every day, there is a buffet with meat, fish, pasta, and vegetable dishes, and even though I don't know what everything is, I grab a plate and fill it with whatever looks good.  (Nothing I've sampled yet have I disliked, so that's saying something!)  At the counter, I place my plate on the scale and walk away paying around $5, give or take, for a tasty, satisfying meal.  (If I want to indulge, I go back later and purchase a 6.5 DKK piece of cake.)

Other than class, my time is free to do whatever I like.  Should there be a social activity planned through my school (as part of the ISUP Social Package), that's where you'll find me.  Only one event have I not attended--dodgeball--because I didn't arrange to play on a team and instead decided to explore Copenhagen some more.  Everything else, I have happily attended and enjoyed.  This week, the event was "Danish music experience" on Tuesday night.

Video clip from Pumpehuset, the music venue where the bands played on Tuesday night.

Otherwise, I go on walks by myself or make plans with friends.  Today, I met up with Meghan, a fellow Chippewa studying abroad on a different program (not at CBS but the DIS).  We spent the afternoon at the Copenhagen Zoo.

Our walk from the metro to the zoo took us through a beautiful park- one of the many in this city.

After only a bit of getting lost, we made it to the zoo!  Touristy or not, I am glad we went.

Bunny hill!

The giraffe walking closer...

This picture was not even zoomed in.  WE GOT SO CLOSE TO A GIRAFFE TODAY.

Besides the many open animal living areas (not all cages and rooms), another interesting feature of this zoo is how some of the animals coexist (as one can kind of see here in the Australian exhibit). 

People can get so close to some of the animals!  This little girl was so happy and fearless when reacting to this goat.

Danish 101 while hanging out with some cows. Koen.

I pet a llama today.

And in this exhibit, I saw a man.

Represented Central out in the city today.

After a nice visit with a friend and some animals, I headed back to my dorm for the night.  Tomorrow morning, I depart for a weekend in Berlin, so other than eating dinner and blogging, I've been preparing for that.

Thus, here ends another day in Denmark.. which, like normal, consisted of riding the metro, going to class, eating, and genuinely enjoying my time abroad, seeing the sights and hanging out.

By the next blog I post, I will have traveled to Germany.  I have dreamed about going there for quite some time now, so even typing that seems slightly surreal.  I cannot wait.