Sunday, July 13, 2014

It's Over Half Over

Hello, everyone.  Good afternoon from Denmark!  Thank you to all of you who have been following my blog.

As you can probably (hopefully) see from my other posts, I am having an amazing experience here.  It's hard to believe that only three weeks ago, I was touring Copenhagen for the first time.  Every day, this city feels more and more comfortable.  Consequently, the thought that I will be flying home exactly three weeks from now is extremely saddening.  I love my life in this happy nation and am so glad I chose to spend some of my summer living here.  Denmark will forever have a piece of my heart.

Looking back on my program so far, I have seen many sites and participated in many fun activities as a student in Copenhagen.  Purchasing the ISUP Social Package and booking both tours was the best decision I could have made.  I remember sitting at the kitchen table when I ordered these social program activities online, my mom affirming that I should "just buy them all."  Thankfully, I did, because I've now traveled all around Denmark and bonded with fellow participants over events such as Danish folk dancing and stand-up comedy.  Every event is an opportunity to meet new people as well as interact with those who have already become my friends.

Danish folk dancing is the ISUP Social Package activity advertised as "the event which gets the best feedback" every year.  After participating on Wednesday, July 2, I can confirm how enjoyable it is!  Being partnered with a friend and moving alongside traditional-style Danish folk dancers made for a memorable night.

Furthermore, I turned my words into actions this past week when I committed to my plan of walking around Copenhagen for at least an hour per day (unless I am already busy going places).  Having downtime is rejuvenating every once in a while--like today, as I'm laying low after a busy week and hoping to regain my voice for the week ahead (I probably just caught the bug that has been going around, but unfortunately, I am incapable of more than a whisper at the moment).  However, I know my time in this country is limited (at least, until I return...).  I am compelled to make the most of every minute I have here.  To me, this means going outside, getting some fresh air, and really seeing the city.

On Tuesday (July 8), I walked from my dorm, Tietgenkollegiet, crossed this bridge (in the Islands Brygge neighborhood), and ended up checking out the Christianshavn and Kongens Nytorv districts.

My first solo sight-seeing trip took me back to Christiansborg Palace, one of the stops on our ISUP tour my first weekend here...

...except this time, I was alone, and I climbed up the tower.  Cool (and free) views of the city from the home of the Danish Parliament.

I even started looking in a few souvenir shops, gathering ideas.  It was nice to walk around aimlessly and experience more of Copenhagen.  In total, I was gone for three hours.

Being an independent person by nature, I was happy to do my own thing and be out in the city on my own.  However, the best times I've had in Denmark have been with my peers.  Some people in this program seem like I have known them forever, when in reality it has only been a few days or weeks.  I am hoping to meet even more friends and make even more memories in the coming next three weeks.

Of course, "studying abroad" does start with studying, so some of my time here has been devoted to going to class, reading, and completing midterm assignments.  After last week, though, I am eligible to sit for both of my final exams: 4-hour long tests, one on Monday, July 28 and the other on Thursday, July 31.  This is a relief, as final grades are 100% based on our final exams, and I'll admit, passing our mandatory midterms did not come without challenge.  Though my marketing case study passed on the first attempt, my finance test did not.  Considering the technical difficulties and incorrect solutions later revealed, I should have actually scored high enough the first time, but the rest of the errors have no excuse rather than me simply making mistakes or not knowing how to do the problem.  Thankfully, CBS students are given a chance or two at retaking midterms.  Rather than prying into my original midterm score more, I submitted my first retake on Tuesday afternoon, and thankfully, I earned the 70% or above this time around.

I share that story as an honest example of how studying abroad can actually mean work and be a bit stressful.  Yes, I have reading to do, and no, I don't enjoy every single moment of my classes.  The concepts can be tricky, and the pressure to transfer these necessary credits back to CMU can be nerve-wracking.  Despite this, I wouldn't trade taking these classes in Copenhagen for anywhere else, and I would highly recommend studying abroad at the CBS to anyone, especially my peers in the CMU College of Business Administration.  The abroad aspect of "studying abroad" is undoubtedly my favorite, and it makes up for the difficulty in adapting to new classroom methods/policies that comes with taking courses in a foreign country.

Looking forward, there are still so many places I want to explore or revisit and several things I want to accomplish while I'm studying abroad this summer (biking in Copenhagen being one of them).  I hope to explore new parts of the city, go out to eat, and see as much as possible.  Christiania and the Little Mermaid, for instance, are two of the top sites I feel compelled to visit.  The chances I will make a purchase at H&M before leaving Denmark are also pretty high.

To date, though, I am happy with what I have done and how far I have come.  This summer program has changed my life for the better, and I am excited to see what else is in store.